Sunday, March 1, 2009

Wain Stones














February 28, 2009
Wain Stones
Today I went hiking with one of my colleagues up to the Wain Stones. I love hiking and being out in nature but most of these places are only accessible by car which is limiting to me. We did a 3 mile loop up the mountain on a muddy path that threatened to suck my shoes off with each step, then up to the boulders. Does this one look like a face? It should because it is the sphinx stone. Across the ridge we walked, on stone slabs which were placed an unknown amount of years ago, making our way across fields of heather (this is the largest area of heather in England). Occasionally, a ring necked pheasant would fly up out of the heather in front of us. This walk is part of the Cleveland Way; a hike which stretches 109 miles across the Cleveland Hills. The route is marked with these signs that have an acorn. Next week I plan on doing the 7 mile hike from Whitby to Robin Hood’s Bay which is a course across the cliffs on the coastline. I’ll then catch a bus from Robin Hood’s Bay back to Middlesbrough. Pray for good weather!

No comments: