Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 1 April's visit

March 26, 2009
This morning I woke bright and early to take the one hour bus ride to Tees Valley Airport to collect my sister, April, who had travelled nearly 24 hours to visit me for one week. A dazed and confused looking April walked through the doors of the airport and into the gray, windy, and rainy North East England. I had told her the weather would be pleasant as it had the few weeks prior; we were to learn that UK weather can go from extreme cold to extreme heat in one weeks time. Getting her back to my flat, I commanded her to go to sleep while I attempted to inflate a mattress which seemed opposed to holding any air I put in it for more than 30 minutes. When April finally woke up 6 hours later, I took her to experience a very British meal; a carvery. This consists of beef, gammon, or turkey mixed with Yorkshire pudding, parsnips, carrots, roasties, cheesy cauliflower, and covered with gravy. Following our scrumptious meal, I introduced April to the world of pub quizzing. I think the fast speaking; strong accented North Yorkshire residents present might have been a bit too much for April’s brain tonight. The N. Yorkshire/Smoggy accent isn’t the easiest to understand as it isn’t what most think of when they think of a British accent.

No comments: