Friday, November 21, 2008

Modern day jokers

November 16, 2008
Modern day jokers

Today I experienced what I call “modern day royalty acting royal”. There are so many old traditions in which the royal family partakes and while watching Prince Charles 60th birthday on the television, I was witness to one of these events. In the old days of knights, kings, princesses, and stone castles, there were also court jesters. The function of these men was to entertain through riddles, music, and political satire. Today I watched modern jesters entertain the prince and the royal family during his birthday celebration. Comedians such as John Cleese, Robin Williams, Joan Hart, and other British comedians joked and amused the royal family with their antics. I’m not sure why I found this so amusing-probably because of the sense that this is such an old tradition and I was able to experience it in this old country full of tradition.

No comments: