Saturday, November 1, 2008

Penny for the guy?

October 19, 2008
Penny for the guy?

Today a lad came up to me and said “Penny for the guy?” Under any normal circumstance, I would have been completely confused by this question, but my British friends have been kind enough to not leave their American correspondent or Colonial friend (as I am often called) in the dark about an upcoming holiday unique to the UK. Guy Fawkes Day, or Bonfire Night as it is most often referred to, is November 5 but usually celebrated on the weekend. In my opinion, it is Britain’s excuse for being able to set off fireworks as the night involves setting off fire works and having a large bonfire on which a homemade ‘man’ representing Guy Fawkes is tossed once the bonfire has reached it’s most ravenous state. Guy Fawkes legend is of a man who conspired with the Duke of Northumberland (of Alnwick Castle) to blow up the house of parliament while it was in session. The Catholics in England had been persecuted under the reign of Queen Elizabeth I and then James I who took power following her death in 1603. The intolerance towards Catholics led 13 men to the decision to blow up parliament with 36 barrels of gunpowder. His planned was foiled possibly by a letter sent warning of the attack and he was caught under the House of Lords with the gunpowder which led to his arrest, jailing, and then hanging. Penny for the guy is what children say a few weeks before Bonfire Night in order to raise money to buy the parts needed to put the man together. I will be celebrating Bonfire Night in Manchester with my flatmate, Jane, and will be enjoying some traditions such as toffee apples and other delicious English sweets!

No comments: