Sunday, October 19, 2008

Field Hockey

October 18, 2008
Field Hockey

Today I saw my first live field hockey game. My flatmate and also my co-worker, Jane, plays for the Norton Hockey Club and today they had a match on the pitch between her team and Durham University. I endured near hypothermia (the ocean wind blew in my face for two hours) while standing on feet that became so cold I couldn’t feel my toes even though I was bundled in all the warm clothes I brought with me plus my flatmate’s thick winter coat. After all that, the match was a draw as the final score was 1-0 Norton. I found it interesting watching 22 women run around a field the size of a soccer field while chasing a bright orange ball with little sticks but by the end of the match I still had no idea as to the rules of the game. I just hoped I cheered at the right time and didn’t embarrass Jane too much. Hopefully I will get to watch the footie (football) live while over here; I just need to find people with whom to go with as the fans can be out of control at times.

No comments: