Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What’s in a name?

August 6, 2008


I have discovered that my name is not as common a name in England as I had thought and that when I say my name no one understands me. I have to repeat myself and say my name with an English accent and then the listener suddenly understands!! The other audiologists think that my name is funny sounding and then only reference they have to knowing someone with that name is to the Nancy in the musical/film Oliver! So, I asked about the rest of the names in my family; Dianna, April, and Melissa are very popular with all ages, Bruce was just laughed at when I said the name because it is extremely uncommon and they thought that it sounded funny. So, from now on, when I introduce myself to patients, I will speak in my “American accent” until I get to my name and then say it in an “English accent”.

No comments: