Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Whinging on the skivers, chicken parmo, and more.

July 30, 2008


I’ve been here a little over 24 hours and already my vocabulary has increased by 20 words that I know hot to use and probably 50 more that I’ve heard but have no idea how to use or what they mean. I’ve been invited to a pub quiz (not sure what it is), a carnival, and a day trip to Whitby, and a hike in the Moors. I got my cell phone today…a pay as you go that I will be mainly using for work. I will be getting internet soon after I meet with a banker on Friday and get a debit card which is required in order to set up an Internet contract.

Vocabulary of the day…try to use at least once a day!
Chicken parmo: chicken parmesan in a mustard sauce with vegetables on the side. Middlesbrough is known for their chicken parmo restaurants, ~7 pounds during happy hour.
Whinging: complaining about someone or something, ex: “last night we sat around and whinged about the new work policy”.
Skivers: lazy people, ex: “they are all in the break room eating tea and biscuits; those bunch of skivers”.
Tea: actually dinner in this part of the UK. There are five meals: breakfast, snack around 11, lunch, tea, and supper is a snack right before bed.

My apartment: I’m sure you would all like to know what/where I’m living. I’m in hospital residence which means I share a flat (bathroom and kitchen) with four other hospital employees. We have our own room which locks and contains a sink, bed, desk, wardrobe, and shelf. I was told that the accommodations were horrible but it is clean and cozy and so far it is nice because I can walk 7min to the hospital. My house mates are Jane (22 and an audiologist), Una (23 and a radiographer), and Janet (47 and a nurse).

Traveling: My trip was rather uneventful. On the long Seattle to Amsterdam flight I sat next to a shy German ( contractiction in terms?) who had been on holiday in Seattle. Whenever I tried to engage him in conversation he looked embarrassed. One of my suitcases was delayed in arriving at the Durham-Tees and when it did the bottom wheel had been mangled and is now unusable as a pull suitcase but the airline will buy me a new one. Other than that, my trip went smoothly.

Misc: I have noticed that when I’m walking around town (as I was earlier when I went to the downtown shopping area) and was talking to my supervisor, Kim (also American and from Portland) that people turn quickly and almost do a double take when they hear our “accent”. It is important to remember that unlike London and other tourist areas, many Middlesbrough residents have not encountered Americans and few have traveled outside the Middlesbrough area.


Shopping: very much like America. I went into a thrift store, department store, and drugstore but need to be careful on what I buy since I take the bus and don’t want to carry a load of stuff. I went to the grocery store down the street and bought food…some American brands but a lot of questionable items such as oxtail soup (not sure what is in it). I bought some “safe” items and came home with a backpack of food. At most stores, shoppers must bring their own carry bags.

That is all in the first 24 hours and I still have much more to do. Tomorrow I will go downtown by myself and buy a hairdryer, iron, and ironing board. That’s all for now. I’d love to hear from you but might but get your message or write back until I have internet access more regularly. If you would like my mailing address please e-mail me at cheananc@yahoo.com. For now, I can only receive letters as the mail for packages is unpredictable and unsecured. Bye for now,

~Nancy

No comments: