Thursday, December 4, 2008

Day 2 conference and chasing trains


November 27, 2008
Day 2 conference and chasing trains
Today was the second day of the conference and again I made my way through the blustery wind to the conference center. One of my colleagues was presenting his research and there were several lectures so attend. Before it was time to take the taxi to the train station, I decided to check out the little shops on the dock. Mostly tourist type shops but still enjoyable to look around and find Christmas gifts. I then stopped in at a Costa (equivalent to Starbucks) and enjoyed an orange hot chocolate while reading a book. I caught a taxi to the train station and waited in the cold for my train to arrive. A disadvantage to train stations is that, although covered, they are open so that trains can pull up the platform and therefore do not provide any warmth. I had to make one connection in a town I had never been previously and so was a bit nervous since it would be completely dark. However, I had printed out a google map with the walking distance which indicated that the train station was only a 10 minute walk from the one at which I would be arriving. With a 30 min layover, I was convinced that I would have enough time to catch my next train. My first trip only lasted 20 minutes and I arrived in Warrington at a one-stop train depot. With no signs pointing the direction to the next train station, I found the only station employee on duty who informed me that it was actually a 20 minute walk and to follow down to the end of the street and turn right at a McDonalds. With no taxis in sight, I decided I would walk quickly dragging my rolling suitcase with one hand and my courier bag slung over my other shoulder. I walked through what appeared to be the down town area but all the shops were closed. After 10 minutes, I found a woman who again reiterated the same directions as the previous woman. However, when I reached the end of the street, there was no McDonald’s in sight. I decided to turn right anyways but had still not seen any signs pointing to the train station. At last I found one other person who told me that the station was at the end of the street but still another 10 minute walk. I knew I was pushing it for time and that there wouldn’t be another train to Edinburgh tonight so gathering up my things I ran in my clogs for the next eight minutes eventually reaching the station in a sweat and a panic at the time my train was due only to discover that my train was delayed by five minutes. I must have resembled a crazed marshmellow as I ran down the street in my flatmates oversized craeam colored parka she had loaned me. When the train arrived, it slowed just enough for myself and one other person to jump on and then picked up speed for the three hour trip to Edinburgh. I finally made it to Edinburgh and met up with Kim at the station.

No comments: