Thursday, December 4, 2008

Exploring Edinburgh

November 28, 2008
Exploring Edinburgh
After my exciting adventure last night, I enjoyed a bit of a sleep in this morning before bundling up to face the cold Scotland air and explore the historic city of Edinburgh. Our first stop was to visit a German Christmas market and enjoy a bratwurst with sauerkraut for lunch. Next, we toured an art gallery with a section on Scottish artists and then other such work by Raphael and Rembrandt. This is a picture of the Scott Monument; a tribute to Sir Walter Scott.




Eventually, we made our way up the climb to Edinburgh Castle; once there we were told that if we came back tomorrow we could get free admission! With the change of plans, I decided to get my Christmas shopping done today and then do tourist type things tomorrow. I toured a woolen mill and saw how tartan scarves and blankets were made and then wandered down Royal Mile Street. Edinburgh is known for its magnificent views so I was also snapping my camera a lot as we made our way down the street. One of my goals while being in Scotland was to try Haggis so that night we stopped in at a small pub and had haggis with mash and neeps, very yummy! While we were there, four men came in and started playing traditional Scottish folk music. It was fantastic!

View from up by Edinburgh Castle


The only Scotsman I could find who would let me get a picture with him

No comments: