Saturday, September 13, 2008

Pub quiz

September 11, 2008
Last night I experienced pub quizzing. Pub quizzing involves getting some friends together to form a team and then going to a pub (which is more of a restaurant than what we think of as a pub in America) and playing the equivalent to team Trivial Pursuit. The quiz announcer asks a trivia question and then the team must write down an answer. Once 15 questions have been asked, the team turns in their answer sheets and the team with the most questions right wins coupons to use at the pub. If there is a tie, there is a tie breaker question. The first round we didn’t do so well, then there was the picture round where you are given a sheet of faces and partial faces of famous people and have to identify them; we tied with two other teams and the tie breaker question was “when was the first mail order catalogue published?” My team voted for me to answer and I was the closest so my team won! The next round we again tied and the tie breaker question was “when was the first crossword puzzle published in a newspaper?” Again, my team voted for me to answer and, I won again! Many teams cheat in this game ie: texting friends or using their phone internet to look up answers but my team didn’t cheat at all and we won the most times! It is a really fun activity and hopefully I will be participating again in the future.
Vocab of the day:
Pips: seeds in oranges
Lugs: slang for ears

1 comment:

Erik said...

That sounds like fun. I'm glad to hear your having a good time over there. It's not too surprising that you did well in the game. You were always good at those trivia games here too.