Saturday, September 20, 2008

Routine

September 18, 2008
Routine
In the past couple weeks my life has become very routine: Monday morning wake up, go to work, come home, go for a walk, make dinner, go to bed, wake up, etc through the week. Not that routine is bad, after all, we all seek stability in our lives and routine often provides that stability. But, in my case this routine has lulled me into a sense of security that all will be fine as long as I keep on doing what I have been doing, my routine. Instead, I need to always be alert and in prayer, thankful for these times of calm but praying that I would be prepared for times of turmoil. I’ve also become complacent and almost robotic in work. It is so routine that I’m not even present anymore. I’m not living in the moment, not seeing the needs of those around me and trying to meet those needs, not recognizing my needs and making an effort to stay spiritually healthy. Mark 13:33 says “Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.” Jesus is speaking about his return. I’ve been meditating on this verse, being made aware that in my routine I have put down my guard and am more susceptible for the devil’s persuasion. I have accepted complacency in my life and not been filled with the urgency that I “do not know when that time will come” when Jesus returns and therefore minister to those who are lost in sin around me. My desire is to be completely aware in every area of my life, with whomever I interact with, and even when I’m by myself so that I am alert to the voice of God.

~Nancy

No comments: