Saturday, September 27, 2008

Silly American

September 26, 2008

Silly American

“Silly American” This is the name one of my flat mates gives me when I do something very “American” as I often do when I get tired. By the end of the week, I find myself happily tired and my brain seems to revert back to habits I have spent 25 years developing:
o Getting into the car as the passenger on the right side resulting in my flat mate saying “do you want to drive?”
o Using terminology that they don’t understand or means something different: pants (underwear over here), bathroom (toilet over here), quoting amounts in dollars rather than pounds, and using American slang.
o Waiting for the pedestrian walk sign while everyone is yelling at me from the other side of the street to cross the street.
I think I bring lots of amusement to my co-workers and my flat mates.

Here is the vocabulary of the week:

Togs/costume: swim suit
Faff/faffer: someone who is taking a long time to get ready ex: she is just faffing about and we need to leave soon.

Chinless nob: someone from the upper class, royalty, usually someone from a "lower" class will use this term when referring to someone from the "upper" class.
Bless him/her: an expression ex: she is just so confused and doesn’t understand it, bless her.
Keen: interested, ex: she’s not too keen on going for a bike ride.

1 comment:

Mom (Dianna) said...

Hi ya! So enjoying your blogs.
Everyone is fine here...April's team is undefeated and receiving good reviews. She has two meets this week. Melissa is in full swing of the nursing program and seems to be fully engaged. AA is doing well. Jingles is silly...bringing me "gifts" nearly every day. Coalby is learning brail, and becoming more cuddly. Sorry to have missed you on Skype...sales still call every Friday and Saturday mornings.