Saturday, September 20, 2008

St. Mary's Musings

September 20, 2008
St. Mary Musings

I promised I would write about what I was thinking while visiting St. Mary’s Parish Church today so here are my musings.
What first got my analytical mind working was the thought of climbing those steps every Sunday for church. But wait, there was also mid week prayer and the Vicar did not live near the church, in fact he lived in town at the bottom of the steps which means that the townsfolk climbed those steps several times a week, the vicar every day, and the other church caretakers were in charge of maintaining those steps. Not only that, but a river divides the town in half requiring the majority of townsfolk to have to cross the river to get to the stairs. You might be thinking that these were hard working people who were in shape enough to climb these steps without a problem and you might be right but consider that there was also elderly, those with chronic health problems, and children who may have struggled up those steps just to go worship God. By the time I had climbed to the top I was out of breath and my heart was in my throat; and I’m not that out of shape! I’ve been complaining recently about having to take the bus which costs 3.95 pounds and takes over an hour to get to church. I want something that is convenient, within walking distance, and that doesn’t take up the majority of my Sunday so that I still have time to spend rest of my day doing other activities. How lazy have we become when try to make our Christian life “convenient” so that it fits somewhere between our job, our family, our other responsibilities. I’m not just writing about Sunday service only, I’m also thinking about our prayer life. Does this sound familiar “Ok, if I wake up an extra half hour earlier then I would have time to read my Bible and pray, but I have that meeting today and I might be tired for it so maybe I should use that half hour to get some more sleep. I can read my Bible some other time.” This is a struggle for me on a daily basis, not just in going to church on Sunday. I was reminded today of these dedicated Christians who gave up the easy and convenient (staying home) to climb those steps to worship, to receive counsel, to pray, to fellowship. This week I’m going to be more aware of the times I push aside what should be priority for the things that are more convenient or when I justify my way out of doing I should be doing for what I want to be doing. Just some thoughts.
~Nancy

1 comment:

Mom (Dianna) said...

Mercy is in the spittle tonight having baby Emma! She was induced about 1 pm this afternoon and haven't heard anything since.

Love reading your blog! The Patinas were excited to hear that you had updated.

Fall has set in and we are expecting lows in the high 30's tonight.

Dad's pumpkins are doing really well and we must have about 50 of those little guys. Maybe we'll have a little frost on the pumpkin tonight. :)

Love you!